Wednesday, July 2, 2008

July already?

It's like squinting through fog and seeing something huge take shape and materialize before your eyes. I'm realizing quickly, and with horror, that my days in America are truly limited. This is difficult for me for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I've come to know and love a lot of people here in Indiana. It's incredibly difficult to see someone for what might be the last time and try to find the words to express how great it's been to know them, and what a gap they'll leave in my life while I'm gone and lonely. I had a going away party back at my folks' house, and it was so hard to see everyone and tell them goodbye. Oh well ... just one more inevitable step.

Secondly, the political situation in America is just becoming tolerable! Minimum wage just finished increasing (which is huge, for a minimum-wage-earner), which gives me something like 20 hours earning the new minimum before I leave. To top it off, we actually might have a Democrat in the house! And he's black! ...Tell me if that's not some kind of progress. (...at least compared to the last eight years? ...That's what a thought.)

On the upside of the political issue, there's an Obama, Japan. And they're really excited that someone shares their name. Classically Japanese motivation for getting enthused. I might spend election night in Obama just so I can be around a bunch of excited people, if he wins.

Anyway...things are getting good in the USA, so of course I'm on my way out the door. Perhaps, by the time I get back we'll have something rad like socialized education or medicine! ...Or maybe I shouldn't hope too high...

The shape in the mist is beginning to look a lot like me with a backpack, waving goodbye.

And, really, what else could it look like?

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Lookin good here, as you're warming up to do some serious blogging (I hope!)

iuman said...

Jake,

I have really enjoyed talking to you late on Sunday afternoons at T.D.'s. I will miss getting to talk to you each week when you are at Japan but I hope things work out well for you there. I wish you the best on your new adventures. I look forward to hearing about your experiences when you get to Japan.

Best of luck always.

Brian

iuman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.