Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Obama Day!

Though I won't be awake while Obama is being inaugurated, or for most of the time that he's up and about presidenting around, rest assured that I've been totally pumped about it today.

Except when I was riding my bike all over a mountain, trying to find the school I was posted at today. You see, every other time I had gone, I had gotten a ride, as well as day-long teaching help, from my good friend S-Lan (L-San's arch-nemesis/polar opposite). Today, however, because of the new schedule, I was all alone, and guess what? When you're pedaling a bike the side of a mountain, and panting out of breath, things look a little different I guess. I rode over the damned mountain. I started coming down the other side, and turned around, began to head down again, before I just rode to another school to ask for directions.

And, happily I didn't have a first period class! So, I wasn't technically late. Well...not really. But, because I was riding on a 10 percent grade one way or another for an hour and fifteen minutes, I got in just in time for 2nd period to start. Lucky me.

There was nice part. At the top of the mountain, though it was a cloudy morning, I could see the snowy cap of Mt. Fuji silhouetted on the horizon. I can't really describe how it felt.
I took a picture with my cellphone, but of course it can't capture the photo really, can't capture the sweat and out-of-breath wonder at the place I find myself in those brief gaps when I realize how truly far away from home I am, and what a lucky man I am to see the things I've seen.

Then in school, I just relaxed and took it easy.

Highlight of the day? In one of the classes, we had to make two teams. Without consulting anyone, I went ahead and named them "TEAM ZOMBIE" and "TEAM DRACULA"
...And guess what? TEAM DRACULA won by two points. Booyakasha!

No comments: