Thursday, October 16, 2008

Nightmare on Elm St. 3 has Lawrence Fishburne in it...

To celebrate Halloween, and get into the proper spirit, I'm watching The X-Files and every Nightmare on Elm St. For the record, Nightmare on Elm St. 2 is one of the worst movies I think I've ever seen...
Anyway, today was a new elementary school, which is always a little nerve-wracking. I feel a little like I'm stuck in a time-warp, like that Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day. Here's why; 1) the lessons are the same. I have been introducing myself 4 or 5 times a day at every elementary school. When I've visited once or twice, I might luck out and have a class or two for the second time. A new school just means that I definitely have to introduce myself at the beginning of each lesson. 2) The new teachers and principals (and the Hajimemashite's [nice to meet yous]) always put a little stress into the day. Usually, there's a low level of English, so yet again, I end up having the same limited conversation in basic English or basic Japanese (depending on the disposition and ability of the teacher/administrator). I don't want to be rude, and I am interested in meeting new people, but I hope you can understand how this could be a bit trying for me on occasion. 3) Every time I'm through introducing myself, I can predict exactly what questions will be asked of me. Despite the fact that one of my major talking points is what my favorite foods are, some kid will definitely ask (Ski na tabemono desu ka? What's your favorite food?), some kid will ask what sports I like, some kid will ask if I have a girlfriend, and some kid will ask what my favorite animal is. I mean, again, I understand that it's all new to kids, and because of the limited language, superficial exchanges are as deep and meaningful as we can get, but it can feel like I'm living the same school day over and over again.
Today was a little different. My Japanese is a little better, so I could muddle through a bit more serious conversation with the administrators and the coffee lady. And, hey, today I petted a rabbit and it licked my arm and my hand for like, ten minutes. I suppose there's nothing that bad about getting some affection. Lord knows I've been without it for long enough. I don't think I've hugged anyone since I hugged my brother in Chicago in July.
Ah, hell...I had a whole 'nother topic in mind for an update, but this'll do for now.
As an aside, I just found out about a Miranda July art gallery in Yokohama, which is maybe an hour and a half away. So...maybe that just became my weekend plans.

No comments: