Saturday, October 4, 2008


Welcome, dear reader. This marks my first ever post from the comfort of my own home - that's right, we are internetted, people. It's strange how surreal it is to have the internet now; I really feel like those chimps in 2001: A Space Oddyssey, just banging on this damn thing trying to remember how it works, and what is worth looking at on the internet. Not that I've had much time at all type update, or just poke around the old internet. I've been busy with school and other things. I don't even have a weekend this weekend! Allow me to inform you...
Firstly, last night marked my first-ever official school enkai. Enkai means drinking party. They're really common in Japan, and they're viewed as a really good way for an entire officeful of people to blow off steam and get tanked. Nigel even came! He always told me how much he didn't like them, because once the teachers get a couple of drinks in them, who knows what they're liable to do/say/grab(!?!)/etc. Anyway, we went together and had a good time, and I really got to try all my japanese skills out in a real life situation. I'm learning a great deal, in any case.
And today, I had to wake up at 8 am to pick up Jay and Charlie from the nearby bus station. I met Jay and Charlie at Tokyo orientation within my first couple of days in Tokyo. Jay is a huge Radiohead fan, and is travelling Japan to attend every single Radiohead concert in Japan, and they are playing tonight and tomorrow night in a nearby city. Back when I met him, he asked if he could stay, so I'm setting him and his friend Charlie up here...but, there goes sleeping in Saturday morning. And at noon, I was shuttled off (to leave Charlie and Jay to sleep in my spare room) to attend a local highschool speech contest, to show support for a student that I have been helping with his speech; sure I didn't HAVE to... but, it's easy enough to sit and listen to kids' speeches, and it means a lot to him.
I just got back from that (and a little chilling and eating with Nigel, and a really cool friend of ours, S-Lan [her name is like L-San, but she is the polar opposite in disposition]) and I am so tired, I can hardly stay awake while I write this. It's good that I'm so tired, because tomorrow, I have to get up at 6 am to attend a town sports day. All day. From 7.15-??? Needless to say, I am so excited and thrilled that I can hardly contain myself. Seriously.

And after all that, after the total demolition of anything resembling two days of rest (hungover, boring, waking up early, helping out Jay and Charlie, watching townsfolk run laps and such), I'm off to work Monday morning, 8.30 like usual.
I have elementary school twice next week...but, hey, elementary school stuff is the subject of a whole other update. Right now, I am going to have a tall, cold drink, watch some bad TV and go to sleep. Goodnight, moon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, i finally started reading this! i hope your time out there continues to be adventurous, with or without good consequence. but mostly with.

"do do do do do do do do
do do do do do do do do
do do do do do do do do
the worst is over."