Monday, February 23, 2009

Blues and kotos...

I had a long day. A long day of not doing much of anything, if you can believe it. I had classes scheduled with a few different teachers, only one was sick, and another was doing a lesson at an elementary school, as a demonstration for other elementary school teachers. (After which, there will be a meeting regarding my future position at either elementary school or Jr. High. It seems they want to make me do one or the other permanently. *shudder*). In any case, I was left primarily to my own devices today, with one exception.

One of the teachers that I haven't had many opportunities to talk with, a music teacher, asked me to come watch her class perform. Boys played guitars and girls played Japanese koto. I was less than impressed with the guitar work (I mean, the kids are young and they need practice and all), but the koto blew me away. It's such a beautiful instrument, about 5 and a half feet long, stringed. It's really wonderful to listen to. So, after sitting through a bit of a concert, the teacher asked me if I wanted to play guitar!

I got so nervous, it was silly. Especially after I watched some kids bumble through their guitar session. So, what was the first thing that came to me? Of course, the blues. I sweated a little, and messed up more than once, but managed to play a basic blues for the kids, and I think they were kind of impressed with it. They had been learning classical guitar, so it was about as far as you could get from studied material. And it was really fun!

So, I genuinely look forward to doing that again, though...I'll have to make sure to practice a bit more, so I have something ready to go just in case, next time.

(Because this is not a very good post, I want to direct you to three blogs that are so good that it makes my blog wish it was never born.

http://www.showponiesandoldghosts.com

http://jimswatercolors.blogspot.com/

http://365daysofstarwars.blogspot.com/

Please check them out. There's all good friends of mine, and they're doing amazing work.)

No comments: