Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Monkey Warning.

Yesterday was weird. For a few reasons. It was my last day at one of my favorite schools; Kita-Sho. The staff are all so nice, and extremely helpful. For instance, they always give me their BEST coffee cup. Which is such a small thing, but so nice. And snacks and help photocopying stuff. Also, the staff are always trying to learn English from me, and speak the English the know. It's just a wonderful place. Everyone felt really human, and I felt like I had made friends with some of the teachers, and actually managed to have a kind of friendly connection. A far cry from where I taught today.

I had a very easy time finishing up work today. I won't name the school, because there's no need to identify a school I won't miss too much. Today was horrible, though. I am overjoyed that I never have to attempt to teach either of the 5th grade classes ever again. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been so frustrated/straight-up-angry with children before. The worst thing is that they just don't understand you, so if you lose it and shout, they'll just mock you. So, I took some deep breaths and just reminded myself that while I am a super-cool, suave, funny, handsome and intelligent world-traveller, the kid who was screaming "I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE" while punching kids at random is just a 10 year old who is so caught up in sugar rushes and Pokemons that he can't focus on anything, besides trying to touch my penis, for more than 10 minutes at a time.

But ... it was also weird because ... today, we had a monkey warning at lunch.

Yeah. A monkey WARNING. For those not in the know, that means that there was a monkey, somewhere, on the loose. The principal had to walk around the school to make sure the kids could go out for recess. ...Because of a wild monkey. Honestly, what the fuck, Japan?

No comments: