Sunday, June 7, 2009

The one where I went to Onsen, among other things.

This last week flew by, as they seem to be doing with startling speed, which is giving me a bit of anxiety - I still haven't started packing, I still haven't planned my return trip home, etc. The extra elementary school day, paired with some of the worst classes I've taught in the last 10 months spread over the extended week had left me totally drained (despite the assistance of TioVita).

Despite having to go to my least favorite school on Friday to teach some monitored classes, I had a pretty alright day. Except for the last class. 4th grade. One girl was crying. All class. There was a mentally handicapped boy, without an attendant, stealing my cards and knocking stuff on the ground for the whole period. There were six boys who refused to so much as look at me, and just kept pushing each other around and making fun of the special kid. The Home Room Teacher was doing his best to just get the girl to stop crying. I shouted over the din and chaos - but all to little or no avail.

And despite all that, I was still having an alright day. Teaching with S-Lan is always a bit more enjoyable than trying to manage alone. At least she can translate what I say to the kids/teachers. Plus, she's fine company.

But, after teaching classes, I ran into my "boss" (hereafter referred to as "Asshat") in the hallway, and he totally pissed me off. He initially told me that I did a good job and such, but when I was leaving to return to the Jr. High (a recent habit adopted by Nigel and I, as we're sick of sitting around at the elementary schools, twiddling our fingers. I shit you not when I tell you that the school I taught at on Friday, literally puts us in our own room, totally segregated from the "real" teachers. To just sit. The other schools aren't any better. A school near my house puts us in the teachers room, nice enough, but puts us in the middle of an aisle, so we're constantly moving out of everyone's way all day while we're twiddling our fingers. We started heading out after our last class, unless a teacher asks to talk about a lesson plan or something, because unlike the elementary schools, we have our own desks and work to do at the Jr. High. Anyway...), Asshat stopped me in the hallway to kind of talk me down for leaving the elementary school. And, guess what? It's some kind of decree now that I'm not to leave any of the elementary schools after classes, but I have to just sit at my desk and watch the clock until 4.30. There is not a shred of reason in it, not a shred of efficiency, nothing. I'm totally perplexed. And to be frank, whether or not I do what my boss tells me is entirely up to how I'm feeling on that particular day. I hate to sound so petulant, but I'm just so sick of this guy, it's silly.

Anyway, immediately after school on Friday, I caught the first bus to a nearby town, where I caught the first train available, to catch the second bus available to my friend Geoff's house for his birthday. I had a pretty good time, and got to talk about werewolves, ghosts, and the impending digital takeover of the world order. Not a bad night, all in all. Geoff's a really nice guy, and though he's a Kiwi, he studied U.S. government in college and is incredibly knowledgable. I'm usually in awe of his understanding. I'll be bummed out when we part ways, to be sure.

And then, Saturday morning (after a full night of mosquitos attacking me), I headed out with my friends Laura, Brian, and Dave to Gunma-ken to onsen. Onsen, for those not in the know, is an awesome part of Japanese culture - Ritualized group bathing in hot mineral springs. And I know exactly what you're thinking, because I was there once myself. You're thinking "Wait. Group bathing. As in ... naked ... with a bunch of other people?" Yeah, dude. Get over it, you prude.

I was really shocked how, once in the environment of onsen, it didn't feel weird at all to bare all to friends and new acquaintances. I mean, the most awkward thing was the myriad of bug bites I had received the day before. No one wants to look like they have chicken pox in a big ol' pot of people soup. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been so clean in my whole life, though. You can't just jump into the hot springs before seriously scrubbing yourself down. On Saturday alone, because of a shower in the morning and multiple trips to the pools, I took five showers and clocked over two hours in a bath.

I can't recommend it highly enough. I felt like a baby - all my muscles were too weak to do anything but chill out. The resort gave us stylish yukata to wear around the hotel, as well. Extremely stylish and comfortable.

So, going to sleep on Saturday night felt like being a baby, wrapped in nice cloth, relinquishing my grip on consciousness one finger at a time, rolling the moment around in my head a while before finally giving in. Needless to say, I feel like a new man, and almost all memories of last week have been wiped clean away (which makes it really hard to write a retrospective entry about them, by the way).

Despite all, I still may take a personal day tomorrow. Get some personal time in, sleep in, clean my shower, do laundry, pay bills, go shopping, etc. It all just depends on how I feel in the morning. I'll be sure to tell you the result.

1 comment:

zach-bloomington said...

Personal day! Do it. I know you're a good guy and all, but use up any and all vacation time that you have!

And these hot springs, were there mirrors everywhere and colored lights in the water?!?! Or was that a different ritualized bathing experience? Nevermind.


The states want you back, jake ruby. Come home soon.