Tuesday, August 26, 2008

August nearly done...

Well, it`s been about a month now. What am I saying? It`s been a month exactly. One month ago today, I came to my quiet, little town without any idea of what would be waiting for me. Here I am, one month later, with just the slightest inkling of what my `real life` here will entail.
School will start here on September 1st, as it does all over Japan. I expected to teach then, but apparently, I just need to hang around the office for two or so weeks until my schedule is finalized. That means I still have time to figure things out, but at this point I feel like the only way out is through. The only way that I will learn what is waiting for me within the elementary and Junior High school walls is by going there, dealing with it on the fly and with confidence.
This whole trip has perhaps become a confidence-building mission for myself. No man is an island, but I certainly feel like I`m on the lonesome side of a drawbridge.
Today, I returned the town hall where I had left a bad first impression on everyone that I met. I went there to teach a conference about team teaching (newsflash: I`m new at this, and am certainly not certified to discuss it with any type of authority). I am a little upset at the teacher that was supposed to help me with this, whom we can call `Lupin`. Lupin asked me if I could help him with this presentation, as Nigel would be on vacation in Hawaii, and I said that would it be fine, I just needed a little help to know what was expected. The help never really came. Yesterday, he asked what I had planned, what games I had invented, boards and cards I had made, etc. He was not very helpful and seemed to not be listening to what I was saying. I would say "I need your help with this project. I`ve never been a teacher before, I`ve never invented any games, and I don`t know how to teach a room full of adult teachers kids` games without it being very boring. Can you help me?" to which he replied "Tomorrow is your first day as a teacher. Good luck!". ...Thanks, Lupin.
Anyway, I got a few activities down, worked hard yesterday to do some planning, and today worked just fine. Where I failed and insulted a month ago, this time I laughed and talked casually. Of course, I made mistakes, but I never panicked and kept on going. Lupin was still not very helpful, with directions such as "Go ahead and do the activity." Oh well.
Anyway, I feel like I can do this now. I feel like I`m ready to get some kids screaming "APPLE, BANANA!" as loud as they can. ...I`m pretty much Barney without a costume.

But Goddamnit, I will be the best costumeless Barney I can be. One month at a time.

No comments: