Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Return of L-San

That`s right! Today, I had a meeting with my boss (hereafter named Honcho) at the office at 9. Luckily, a great translator had come with me to help me navigate the meeting. Once I got there, Honcho informed me that we had to head over to L-San`s place of employment to continue our meeting. I was horrified. I was then informed, before headed to L-San`s, that I would need to go to her place of employment every day until Sept. 1st, for her to give me `japanese lessons`.
... I grew faint.
I pleaded with my translator to inform them that I didn`t want to study japanese with her. I tried to think of nice ways to get around it, without being too rude or forward (thought of as rude in Japan). I started by saying that her English was hard to understand, and it made me feel a little ... stressed. I then said that I had majored in another foreign language (which you should all know, but again ... for anonymity`s sake) by studying on my own, and that such a style was more conducive to my way of learning. I think people were a little offended that I would so blatently refuse an offer to have something to do, especially as I spend most of my days at work just reading or being on the internet, at least until school starts.
Anyhow, we went to L-San`s place anyway. Although, we went simply to say that I would be handling my own study habits, and would continue reporting in to the junior high. I consider it a major success. However, I do have to go to her place of residence to run a private book-reading session. At least...that`s what she said in English. I think I will read like...the hungry caterpillar, or something. ...I can`t imagine that it will take all day. Things during the meeting with L-San were a little tense...but, I stuck to my guns, tried to be as polite as possible and managed to retain my sanity.
On a bizarre note, however: After all this rudeness and awkwardness throughout the day, I went to get some lunch from a local convenience store only to find, quite to my surprise, L-San standing next to the sandwiches. It was, to say the least, awkward.
Rude American though I may be, I intend to study japanese harder on my own than L-San could prod me to. I`m off to do just that. Ganbarimasu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you did that weird wedgie thing to L-San she'd get the idea. Then again maybe she'd fall in love with you...

telepathicbotox said...

You can do it!