Monday, August 18, 2008

Genki?

Okay, it`s been a little while since an update. Things are the school are getting a little tighter. Have to come in earlier, stay later, etc. Which...is totally fine with me. Just a quick personal update now;

I spent last Sunday in Tokyo with the other ALT in town, whom we`ll call Nigel, because he`s British - like, drinking tea and watching cricket British. He`s also, incidentally, a very nice guy. He`s very interested in the Olympics, and specifically how well Great Britain is doing in relation to Japan. Aaanyway, Tokyo was really cool. It got very rainy, and we stayed inside coffee shops and all sorts of stores and things, but it was very cool. We even went to a Mexican restaurant that night! Mexican. In Japan.
It wasn`t exactly El Norteno (which I am now missing terribly), but it was good enough, if perhaps a little too expensive. We even went out for a drink at a British style Pub. Good scotch, what else do I have to say?

The teachers here are all really crazy people, it seems like. There`s a really effeminate male teacher, an (according to himself) uber-rich large man who I`ve taken to calling Mr. Big, a faux-feminist stickler, the lazy and irreverent Principal, etc. All really funny people. I just have to take some deep breaths and try to just have fun this year, and not be worried about what these people think of me, or whether each lesson plan goes over well. I`m getting nervous lately, but I really have nothing to be nervous about . . . besides faiing as a teacher. But, I`m stubbon and determined enough to not let that happen.

This Friday is my day with L-San again. Then next week, Tuesday. I can`t wait for those days to pass by, because they`ll look a lot better in hindsight than they do now, I`m sure. And this weekend, I`m going down near Osaka by shinkansen (bullet train!) to hang out with Josh and Shannon. For those who don`t know, they`re two of my favorite people in the world. It should be a good weekend, even if I have to use up a sick day Monday to make it worthwhile. That`ll propel me through L-San`s `lessons,` I`m sure. ...I hope.

I have very few funny anecdotes or stories on the edge of my mind right now. I would`ve updated many times this last week, but still no internet at home and my access here in the office is getting increasingly limited. I`m actually calling my internet provider today after school to ask if they can expedite the process. I don`t want to be a jerk, but I feel like I just need to say `I am American. I will drop a bomb if I have to. Hook me up to the interwub, dude. Be quick about it.`

Next time, I`ll try to write something interesting...

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Next time Marcus and I are at El Norteno, we'll be sure to enjoy it extra for you. :-)