Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Day

Today is remarkable only in the fact that it's the first Christmas in my life that I didn't wake up and immediately sneak myself into my brothers' rooms, issuing hushed calls for them to wake up. I'm not a celebrator of Christmas in almost all senses. But, I do miss my family today, and especially my brothers, because I know that in a matter of hours, they'll wake up to feel as strange as I did today. They'll wake up without me standing over them, prodding them with my foot, so we could all share the quiet of Christmas morning together. But, what's a gaijin to do about it?

I suppose listening to all of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on repeat isn't helping matters much.

Although, in two days' time, my girlfriend will come into Japan. So, I have little room in my heart for sadness today, when I keep things in perspective.

On a funny Japanese-style note, I was invited to the annual Bounenkai, or End-of-the-Year-Party. I had a really great time, and my co-workers were more than accommodating to my lack of Japanese skills (Nigel had decided not to come this year, so I was the lone gaijin). I ate a lot of Japanese winter foods, hot pots and stews and things. The most notable thing, however, was a big bowl of magenta-colored wide noodle-looking things. I asked the only English teacher what I was about to eat, and he thought for a moment, smiled, and replied "Guts! You're about to eat guts!" ...Oh, really? You have my internal gratitude, thank you.
Actually, the guts were fine. It's only in retrospect that my stomach jumps at the memory of the texture. Rubbery on one side, mushy on the other. And on that note, I'm off to read awhile before seeking "Christmas Dinner" at an English-style pub in nearby Omiya with a few pals. It's not exactly Christmas morning, but it's better than sitting around and reading Engels all day.

Happy Christmas, everyone.

No comments: