Monday, December 15, 2008

An uncertain future makes an uncertain man

Well, it's not all that dramatic. The meeting is tomorrow. That's right; the meeting. After two months or so of fretting and worrying, tomorrow decides (as Virgil may render it, "The Meeting Decides All"...or that's the hope, in some dreamlike democratic Japanese school system protocol) what next year will hold for me, as early as Jan. 15th.
Now that it's gotten to this point, I find that most of my frustration and anger are gone - squandered in waiting and blog-bitching. So it goes. With a level head, I can represent my worries and hope that they take all things into consideration. I'm still quite mad at the way in which I've found out about the whole deal, though, as well as the great reluctance to inform either Nigel or I about the plan. Demo shoganai ne?

I have a long list of things I want to say here about my weekend; I should be heading to bed, getting all the beauty rest I need for tomorrow.
...And yet I remain.
I spent Saturday night in Kabukichou with Josh - one my oldest and best friends. We've known each other since college, and he cracks me up harder than anyone else. Kabukichou is a notorious district of Tokyo. It's full of prostitutes and no-good yakuza and other undesirables. ...It's also full of vintage arcades. That's right. Awesome arcades. When I moved to Japan, I was actually quite upset at the lack of state-of-the-art arcades here. They have arcades, sure...but they suck. It's mostly like, 70 percent UFO/claw machines full of either Dragonball Z or Hello Kitty peraphernalia (depending on gender of the crane operator). Needless to say, I was more than a bit disappointed. I thought this place thrived on stuff. Well...myth busted, much to my dismay.
Anyway, Josh and I went to this arcade and I almost got the highscore on a 1943 machine! And this is an otaku arcade! People go here to practice and to break world records and stuff. I was pretty proud of myself. I might even go back and try to break that record.
It was a really crazy night, in quite a few ways. After the arcade, we went to a nearby pub-style bar, and met some cool Japanese people. Unfortunately, one of them got so drunk, he was thrown out of the bar. On his way out of the bar, he decided to put his hand through a plate glass window of a nearby karaoke bar. Needless to say, the police picked up our new friend and whisked him away to whatever the Japanese equivalent of a drunk tank is (I bet it's a drunk tank!).
Well, somewhere walking around Kabukichou, my keys fell out of my pocket. So, Sunday morning, when I got back from Tokyo, in the cold winter rain, I discovered I was locked out. So, I had to contact my boss and see about getting the spare from the town office. Only...there wasn't a spare! So, I hung out with my boss on a Sunday from 9.45-12.00 trying to get a locksmith to let me in to my apartment. I was drunk AND hungover at the same time, and I know that I looked/smelled that way. Needless to say, I'm a bit embarassed over the whole ordeal...and my wallet's about 150 dollars lighter for having met a locksmith. I'm trying to not let the whole thing weigh me down. Money's for spending, and I like to spend it in better ways than repairing the effects of my stupidity. ...But, then again, sleeping soundly in my warm bed at will is worth a whole lot more than 150 dollars.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Wish me luck on the meeting. I just may need it.

No comments: