Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cultural Relativism

I realize I've just updated moments ago. Already I feel poorly about the update; far too whiny to be any good, to just about anyone but me. I'll actually apply a little intellect and discuss a topic I've encountered while in Japan.

I have heard it said many times, by many different JETs teaching in Japan for a handful of years, that the "smart people in Japan speak English," or something to the same effect - the point being that English ability is a necessity to have a broad world outlook, or understanding.
The statement is, of course, ridiculous. I fear that it's linguistic (to follow the political) hegemony, especially as much of Japanese culture is immersed in English. It's on the products I buy, with decent translations. It's on the clothes I see, with horrible translations. It's on the television, it's in the movies (though they are subtitled in Japanese). Post-war Japanese culture is immersed in English. Students are forcefed it from elementary school as a required subject, and foreigners are shipped in by the thousand to aid in this endeavor (hey, ma, look at me! I'm employed to vindicate cultural empire overseas!).
I think statements like that assume the cultural and linguistic supremacy of English-speaking countries, which is more than a bit offensive, however. By virtue of our creating a bomb and blowing up civilian targets, we gain the ability to turn our nose up at those poor creatures who cannot understand English?

It is true, however, that foreign language acquisition does amazing things for a person's understanding of the world. It offers them an outside outlook on their own cultural habits, as well as offers them a window on the cultural habits of foreigners. In learning how a foreign language operates, we better understand the mechanics of our own language, with obvious merits for literacy and eloquence.
It is true as well that English is the most widely studied foreign language in Japan. Therefore, by a slight stretch of the imagination, and a willingness to forgive the poor turn-of-phrase, I can see the point of the English speakers; as a rule, people who are forced to examine their language and culture are sharper than those who aren't. After all, how many bilingual Republicans are there (Ohhhh, diss!).
...No, seriously. Think about it.

Though the culture is already immersed in English, and it's taught from gradeschool, the level of English IS low where I live. Which is okay with me. How much algebra do you remember from elementary school through high school? How much chemistry? After all, this area is a lot closer to Tokyo than it is to New York. It makes sense that people speak the national language, and not cater to the few thousand English teachers here every year.

I guess I got worked up about this because of its implications. Only English speakers are smart, only people who understand foreign customs are smart, only people who can have a laugh over Japanese customs are smart, only people who would rather be white are smart, etc. I hate the slippery slope argument. That's not exactly my point. It's just...that we can't force these people into our preferred shape. Cultural relativism is important. It's absolutely vital to foster cultural understanding - both ways - rather than ridicule those who don't already understand my way of thinking and speaking.

*deep breath* Thank you.

No comments: